Tuesday 13 November 2012

Synchroblog for Sanity

Last week, Sarah and I were invited to meet with some representatives from the Church of England to talk about our experiences of being gay Christians, particularly as we are in a civil partnership.  When the idea of this discussion was first broached with us, we were cautious and keen to know exactly what the agenda would be here – were they going to be trying to shout us down?  We were assured that they simply wanted to sit down with us and hear our stories, and I am delighted to report that that is exactly what happened.  Me, Sarah and another gay Christian friend of ours spent almost two hours telling our stories to these people over coffee and cake (it’s still unclear what percentage of the flapjacks Sarah actually consumed but a conservative estimate would be A High One) and they listened. Actually listened.  And then thanked us for willing to be vulnerable with them.

In the days since, we’ve both said how touched we were by the compassion that these people showed us, and the way that they left us feeling validated as Christians (not that other peoples’ opinions should matter, I know, but still!) Sadly, having a conversation with straight Christians about homosexuality doesn’t usually leave us feeling this way – although there are always exceptions to the rule, peoples’ responses often fall somewhere between mildly disapproving and downright abusive.  I’ve been asked to leave churches, been told that ‘homosexual offenders won’t inherit the kingdom of heaven’ and even had people try to cast the ‘demons of homosexuality’ out of me (which doesn’t seem to have been so effective, at the end of the day) so to actually have people sit down and listen to my story… well, that’s mind-blowing, really.

Those of you who have known me a while will know that I’m involved in an organisation called the Gay Christian Network (in fact, I probably met a fair percentage of you through GCN).  Their executive director, Justin Lee, is releasing a book this week called ‘Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate’.  (For those that are interested, Torn is released on 13th November in the US but will be released in the UK under the title ‘Unconditional’ on 17th January). As part of the publicity for his US book release, he’s asked bloggers to post something calling for a saner, more reasonable dialogue on this issue

So here it is.

I am well aware that not everyone agrees with me (this is a regrettable truth that I think could possibly be attributed to The Fall, although my wife tells me that this is just Life).  There are plenty of people in my life that hold different views to me, but we remain in relationship because we don’t spend all the time that we’re together trying to change the other person’s mind, and we certainly don’t become abusive to the other person and then tell them that they’re an abomination that God is going to spit out.  It’s not friendly, and it can ruin an otherwise perfectly civilised cup of coffee.  I have no idea whether these people from the Church of England agreed with our point of view, but their approach was loving, respectful and Christ-like.  That is what dialogue about homosexuality should look like.

In the words of one of my closest friends, a Christian who isn’t gay but is perfectly happy (and sometimes hysterical!) in the company of two lesbians:

Never let a point of theology, however strongly you believe it or how deeply it affects your life, get in the way of the love you hold for one another.

5 comments:

  1. Sadly far too many have sat through the "casting out of demons!" Good read, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that the meeting you had went well! If I were asked to do something like that, I think that I'd be terrified that there was some hidden agenda. It sounds like they genuinely wanted to understand your thoughts and where you were coming from. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Never let a point of theology, however strongly you believe it or how deeply it affects your life, get in the way of the love you hold for one another."

    What a great quote! I'm going to remember it and probably memorize it and add it to the many conversations I might have. In my family there is diversity, differing of opinions and even in our faith and how we live out our faith, though I think Catholic's have a little different approach then say Conservative Evangelical and the majority of folks in my family are Catholic and if not Catholic then really don't have any faith. Some are gay some are not gay, I have quite a few cousins who are gay. My aunt's first born son just came out not to long ago and then my dad has me. My cousin is not religious, doesn't have a faith and lives his life the best way he can and his convictions are different from mine. Then I have another cousin who's gay, he's a Christian, I don't try to categorize him to figure out if he's following Christ the same way I am but it's evident that Jesus is in his life and I'd rather encourage his relationship with Jesus then to try and devalue his experience with Jesus. And then there is myself and if you read my blog entry then you'll have a better understanding of where I'm coming from. In my family we don't usually focus our relationship on who's gay and who's not or devalue one's experiences... we love each other unconditionally, tolerate each others differences, we may even choose not to go into such divisive conversations especially if it will divide us in relationship so usually we really don't talk about faith or religion... every once in a while I'll get into an intense debate with my twin brother but we still part ways respectfully while challenging the other, it's a skill not many people have but you learn through trial by error. Anyway, I really like the above quote. I have lived by that for a long time and hope and pray others will come to grasp this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also holding on to the quote "Never let a point of theology, however strongly you believe it or how deeply it affects your life, get in the way of the love you hold for one another." In fact, do you mind if I use it on my blog?

    Thanks for your post, as it reminded me of something important. Change is not going to be the result of the monolithic "Church" coming to a resolution with the "Gay Community". It's going to be about individuals sitting down and having coffee together, no matter how passionately they disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments :)

    rethinkingfundamentals - yes I'm happy for you to use the quote on your blog, but will you link back to this post?

    ReplyDelete